How to Make Your Chapter 13 Plan Payment

You’ve filed your case and your attorney told you the amount of your plan payment. So how do you make the payment?

One way is by wage assignment. If you are a regular payroll employee, the Court can issue an order to your employer to withhold your plan payment from your paycheck. You employer will usually try to spread it out across two paychecks per month, but if you want something different, talk to your payroll department. The trustee doesn’t care if he gets your plan payment in one, two or four checks a months. Sometimes, we will insist on a wage assignment. This is normally for Chapter 13 cases that we refile because the previous one got dismissed.

If you are self-employed or otherwise don’t want your employer to make the plan payments, you can send them in yourself. The first plan payment is due within 30 days of filing; subsequent payments are due monthly. You can send money by personal check or certified funds (cashier check, money order, etc.). If you have bounced a check with the trustee before, you will be required to pay in certified funds. Again, the trustee doesn’t care when in the month you send the check or if you send one or two checks, as long as he gets his plan payment every month.

All plan payments go to:

Howard Hu
1132 Bishop St. Ste 301
Honolulu, HI 96813

Make sure to write your case number on your payment so the Trustee’s office knows whose account to apply it to.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.