Converting Your Bankruptcy Case

If your situation has changed since you filed your bankruptcy, the bankruptcy code does allow you to switch between different chapters.

The most common situation is converting from Chapter 13 to Chapter 7. If you lost income after filing or decide you don’t want to keep a house, the conversion allows you to get out of making plan payments and get out of your bankruptcy faster. The criteria for getting a discharge in a case converted to Chapter 7 is the same as if you filed as a Chapter 7 in the first place. But you do need to show how your current financial situation is different from the original Chapter 13 filing.

Since your bankruptcy then has a new Chapter 7 trustee, you would need to attend a new 341 meeting with the new trustee.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.