Can I keep sending money to relatives in another country?

If you are married to the recipient or related to him/her (child, aunt, parents, etc…) and have a past history on sending support, the money you send can be listed as a expense in your bankruptcy budget. So if you are sending money to the Philippines or Samoa, keep your Western Union receipts because the bankruptcy court will want to see proof of it.

Just make sure that the money you send is not for a repayment of a pre-existing debt. That kind of payment is called a preference in bankruptcy and the trustee in your case may demand the return of the money from the recipient.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.